Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish and in Sign Language


     As a Dual Immersion teacher, one of the first things that I did was translate the Pledge of Allegiance to Spanish. I looked on the Internet for a translation that I liked but the varieties that I say had some words that I did not agree with. For example, some people use the phrase, "El Juramento," but to me that translates to The Swearing. So I chose the "Promise Loyalty" phrase since there is no direct translation of allegiance. I do not believe that there is an official Spanish Pledge.
     I was so proud to have learned The Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish and we said it every day in my Dual Immersion class but I was saddened to hear that some people think this is anti-American in some way. I understand that people should learn to say the Pledge in English and it is actually one of the first acts that new American Citizens perform, but I think that it is extra patriotic to learn the Pledge in another language too. Here is the Pledge in American Sign Language too. I found it at wallrain.com. I think it is a wallpaper site.


What do you think? Is it unpatriotic to say the Pledge in a different language?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teacher Assignment: Like, Share, or Comment